Sunday, January 4, 2009

Introduction

Equity trading is one of my main passions in life. I find that it keeps me extremely motivated, thoughtful, honest, and humble. Since I work full time, it's difficult for me to monitor and adjust my trading positions during market hours. If only I had a computer program to do this job for me, life would be much easier. Trading strategies that I use are systematic (meaning all the steps are well defined), therefore it should be possible to let a program monitor and execute these trades for me. While there are programs and systems that currently do this, they tend to be pricey, geared towards institutions, and do not have the flexibility that I need.

By trade, I'm an Oracle developer. I have extensive experience in designing and developing systems. It is natural that I would want to write my own personal trading robot. This blog is a technical diary of my development process. I will not document my personal trading plan, but I will document the development of this trading robot. This trading system will be implemented in various technologies that I'm not an expert in, such as Java, JRuby, and Ruby. After some research, I found that there is little documentation relating to the integration of these technologies and how they all fit together. It is my goal to document this and related topics as I gain more knowledge. If readers find some of it helpful in developing their own system (which may or may not be related to trading), then I would be happy to have made a positive contribution to the world.

No comments: