Operating System: Windows XP
A) The first error occured when starting WEBrick server. A pop up message displayed:
ruby.exe Ordinal Not Found
The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic link library SSLEAY32.DLL
Searching the web led me to this post at Stackoverflow. My solution was to:
1) Rename libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll in both ruby\bin folder and posgresql\lib folder to old_libeay32.dll and old_ssleay32.dll respectively. This way I don't lose these dlls in case my fix doesn't work.
2) Install Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables which can be obtained from Microsoft site. This is needed prior to installing OpenSSL below.
3) Install the latest OpenSSL from Shining Light Productions. I used "Win32 OpenSSL v0.9.8k Light".
4) Copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from OpenSSL folder to h ruby\bin and posgresql\lib folder.
5) Restart WEBrick server and the error should be gone.
B) The second error occured in the browser when Rails tried to connect to PostgreSQL. I tried to migrate a model using rake db:migrate. An error displayed:
undefined method 'quote_indent' for PGconn:class
Searching the web led me to this post at HighDot Forums. My solution was to:
1) Open Rails file config/initializers/new_rails_defaults.rb
2) Add the following code at the end of the file:
# Postgres "quote_indent for PGconn:class" fix from http://www.highdots.com/forums/ruby-rails-talk/quote_ident-283323.html
After that, I did not experience any other issues with the development environment.